Suomenlinna fortress. Susisaari Island. Bastions Höpken and Ekeblad
After walking on a wooden bridge, we find ourselves on the island of Susisaari (Susisaari), which in Finnish means "Wolf island", he gave the name of the archipelago, on which the fortress was built - "Wolf's skiers". During the Russian rule, the island was called "Ingenrny" .
It was the most fortified part of the island, including the Ekeblad and Höpken bastions.
Fortification was built in the late 40s of the 18th century.
For the construction of raw natural stone was used, this material is abundant in the rocky Islands.
In these casemates the prison for captured fighters of the Finnish "Red guard" was placed. After the revolution of 1917 Finland gained independence in Russia, and in it, as in Russia, the Civil war began. The "Red guard" was formed with the direct participation of Soviet Russia and fought for the establishment of a Communist dictatorship in Finland. In April 1918 in the battle for Tampere "Red guard" was defeated by the nationalist forces (Skyddskår, civil guards) and 76 thousand soldiers were captured. More than 7 thousand Communists and Commissars put to a wall without trial, the others, in the mass of the simple workers and peasants, received prison terms, generally purely symbolical, and the majority of them were released in some months.
At walls of a Bastion the monument in memory of battle in Svensksund when the Swedish fleet struck crushing defeat to the Russian is established. Under significantly superior forces (20 frigates, 15 medium-size ships and 23 galleys) Admiral Karl Nassau-Siegen, Russian fleet lost 19 frigates and 16 small ships, still 22 were overrun in capturing, under this loss amounted 7400 people. While squadron Carl Cronstedt of 6 and 16 frigates galleys lost only 4 small ship and 300 persons of staff. The battle turned the tide of the war practically won by Russia, after which peace was concluded on unfavorable conditions for Russia.